Alberta Opportunity Stream
Alberta Opportunity Stream can be your gateway to a prosperous future in Alberta, Canada. If you’re already working full-time in Alberta and have a job offer from an Alberta employer, this stream offers you a pathway towards permanent residency.
What is Alberta Opportunity StreamThe Alberta Opportunity Stream is tailor-made for temporary foreign workers who are contributing their skills and dedication to the Alberta workforce. If you have a full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in an eligible occupation, you’re on the right track. Whether you hold a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or one of the accepted LMIA exemption work permits, this stream welcomes you to take the next step in your journey.
Recent ChangesThe Alberta Advantage Immigration Program has recently undergone strategic enhancements to remain competitive in attracting and retaining skilled workers and entrepreneurs. These changes, effective from April 3, 2023, include the introduction of the Dedicated Healthcare Pathway under the Alberta Express Entry Stream and a reduction in the minimum investment amount required for the Rural Entrepreneur Stream. These updates solidify Alberta’s commitment to fostering a dynamic and diverse workforce.
Who’s Eligible?To qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream, candidates must meet the following criteria: 1.Hold a valid work permit at the time of application and during the assessment process (excluding status maintained during processing or restoration status). 2.Work permit must be based on one of the following:
- 1. Positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- 2. LMIA exemption based on various categories, including:
- a. International trade agreements.
- b. Workers transferred within a company.
- c. International Experience Canada.
- d. Mobilité Francophone.
- e. R205(d) for religious work.
- f. Vulnerable workers with open work permits under specific exemptions.
- g. Family members of vulnerable workers under Vulnerable Workers Open Work Permit (VWOWP) exemption.
- h. Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) held by graduates of Alberta Advanced Education publicly funded post-secondary institutions.
- i. Open work permit issued under IRCC’s open work permit public policies:
- –2022 temporary policy changes to the PGWP Program.
- –2023 temporary policy changes to the PGWP Program.
- j. Open work permit issued under the public policy for Hong Kong recent graduates.
- k. Open work permit issued under IRCC’s Ukraine immigration measures (Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel).
- a. Specific occupation relevance
- b. Educational qualifications
- c. Work experience